Initital Re-opening info
13th May 2020
Dear Parents and Carers
I am writing to update you on our plan for pupils and staff to return to school. As you will be aware the Government has indicated that there could be a partial reopening of schools on June 1st if its published five tests are met.
1. Making sure the NHS can cope
2. A 'sustained and consistent' fall in the daily death rate
3. The rate of infection decreasing to 'manageable levels’
4. Ensuring supply of tests and PPE can meet future demand
5. Being confident any adjustments would not risk a second peak that would overwhelm the NHS
As you would expect, GLC schools are working hard to put plans together [in consultation with the Local Authority, local schools and unions] to prepare for a safe and managed reopening of all sites. A central part of the plan is to consider which pupils should return first, given the staffing and resources available. I must inform you now that this might not be in-line with Government instructions. Our top priority is to open as safely as possible for our staff and your children so, with our Board’s agreement we will:
- Take a stepped and cautious approach to reopening, with fewer pupils in the first instance than the government has indicated. Our initial thinking is that there will be a very limited opening with one year returning divided in to classes of 15 pupils.
- We will only expand provision when we have the staffing capacity to do so and we know that all can be safe at school.
- We will maintain the current provision for vulnerable children and the children of key workers.
We will continue to provide the high-quality online learning package for all those pupils who are not attending school.
This letter is intended to keep you informed of our current thinking. I must stress that when we finalise our plans we will provide you with a very detailed set of protocols that outline the exact measures that will be in place and which children will be invited to return.
As always, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support. I will write again early next week with full details.
Chief Executive Officer